Tonight you going to heard some of my more redneck music. Endless banjo and foot tapping classics from deep down in my music vault. I have been getting into Southern Gothic recently as well as a bunch of bluegrass and blues. This episode was outlined by the artist spotlight being The Dead South. A band from Canada with many banjo tunes in their library. This band is more well known than our other spotlights. They can be quite the cheeky fellows, especially in one of their sons called ‘The Manly Way’. I advise everyone to tune in if you still have the chance, I’m on until 10pm playing some more banjo tunes from independent artists.
Join Drew Taddia this week on Exploring Mind and Body as he interviews Mike Vacanti about learning MacroNutrients.
Mike Vacanti is a NYC based Nutrition Coach and Trainer. Mike also runs a successful online coaching business blending psychological support with proven diet plans and training methods to inspire men and women to make permanent and healthy lifestyle changes that work.
Tune in to learn about MacroNutrients and how to track them.
Tonight, DJ Deej and DJ Winks were in the studio for more radio fun, and More Life. Yes, the moment that we’ve all (especially Winks) have been waiting for, came on March 18. Within 24 hours, the playlist by Drake and the rest of the October Firm received nearly 90 million streams worldwide.
Here are the initial track reviews:
- “Passionfruit” was overhyped on social media prior to the album actually dropping. Both DJs expected a club banger, but instead received a chill track. This is not a complaint, just a bit of a surprise.
- “Can’t Have Everything” – Deej has come to the conclusion that its beat is just “Successful” (ft. Trey Songz and Lil’ Wayne) sped up. “Try reciting the chorus of “Successful” over it and see what happens,” she said. However, the ending segment was reminiscent of “Look What You’ve Done” off of 2011’s Take Care; a welcome and pleasant nod to the Drake of the past.
- “Teenage Fever” is relaxed, but a lazy sample of “If You Had My Love by Jennifer Lopez. Totally explains why she and Drake were hanging out all the time though, if anything.
- Although “Nothings into Somethings” is lacking lyrically, it is a telltale PARTYNEXTDOOR production, indicated by the heavy 808. It is very similar to Party’s track “West District.”
- “Lose You” and “Portland” are definitely the bangers on the album.
Here’s what else we talked about:
a) St. Paddy’s 2017 — Laurier’s celebration set a record with an estimated 12 000 people on Ezra Avenue. The Spotted at Laurier tweet comparing the street gathering to Donald Trump‘s inauguration has received nearly 4000 “retweets” about 14 000 “likes” on Twitter, and nods from people like Andy Lassner, the Executive Producer of The Ellen Show.
b) Nintendo Switch (?) — This fall, DJ Winks is moving away from home for the first time. He really wants to get his own TV and a game console for his new pad. He’s in the process of doing research, but cannot seem to decide between the new Nintendo Switch, the XBOX One S, and the PS4 Pro. We have put out a poll on Twitter to (hopefully) ease the decision-making process.
c) Two more shows??!! — We’re looking to do an all-request segment next week. Please Tweet us any requests, or write on our Facebook line (both @RLAfterClass). Watch our IG for prompts and in studio action. You can follow us @afterclazz.
This week’s track list is as follows:
- “Chanel” – Frank Ocean
- “Fake Love” – Drake ft. Travis Garland
- “Free Smoke” – Drake
- “Passionfruit” – Drake
- “Teenage Fever” – Drake
- “Portland” – Drake ft. Quavo & Travi$ Scott
- “Lose You” – Drake
- “Look What You’ve Done” – Drake
- “Find Your Love” – Drake
- “Know Yourself” – Drake
Happy St. Patrick’s Day to all our real and fake Irish friends out there! This week’s show was all about our favourite holiday, and tips to survive the day. Such as… drink as much as possible as early as possible. And that’s all. We also counted down the top 20 green things of all-time, but to save time, here’s the top 5:
5 – Kermit the Frog
4 – Watermelon rein
3 – Green Tea
2 – Mike Wazowzki
1 – Green lights
Thanks for listening, and remember, party without the smoke today and everyday. See you all next week through the radio waves.
Hello Friday – Florida
You Can Call Me Al – Paul Simon
It’s Friday – Great Big Sea ft. Dean Brody
That Night Pat Murphy Died – Great Big Sea
Cheers – Rihanna
We’re coming to the end of the term so keep your head on your shoulders and power through. We can write those 6 papers and 5 exams if we just work together. Not on the papers I mean. Just on the solidarity. On to the News!
Sheldon Cooper, the character of Big Bang Theory fame, is getting a spin off show about his childhood. Why? Good question. I do not have an answer other than potential profit, but at least there will be a couple jobs for some Hollywood writers that could use work. Try to find the bright side right?
An ad was released at SXSW for David Leitch’s new film Atomic Blonde starring Charlize Theron. It’s based on Antony Johnston’s graphic novel Cold City and it looks real good.
The first promo image of Jurassic World 2 has been released. Currently their saying that it will be released June 22, 2018. The picture is pretty and hopefully the movie will be a little stronger than the first Jurassic World.
Video of a creepy occurrence in a Brazilian school was shared on reddit. The door is repeatedly opening and slamming as two people walk towards it to investigate. I’m not a believer in ghosts, but the video is spooky so, in case you’re interested, it’s in the links below.
Footage of some dolphins coming alongside a boat near Marlborough, New Zealand popped up on LiveLeak. They are very beautiful creatures. By the way, in case you don’t know what LiveLeak is… just watch this video and then close the window without clicking anything.
A Miami lawyer’s pants burst into flame during closing statements on an arson case. Yeah, dawg. It’s a pretty good story.
A stunt motocross rider in California jumped the 60 freeway in the middle of the day. Security cam footage saw the guy and the Highway Patrol is currently investigating.
Have you wanted to wear sports themed shoes while you become obese? Well, good news, Pizza Hut can hook you with their new Pie Tops. If you squeeze the button under the Pizza Hut logo, the shoe will order you a pizza.
When I was a small boy there were these ads on TV for devices that you put on your body and they would vibrate and you would loose weight. You wouldn’t actually, but this is what the ads claimed. Turns out it works for mice when you vibrate their whole body.
Absolute Zero… roughly. It has been mathematically confirmed that absolute zero is only theoretically possible. So it isn’t really absolute zero, I guess.
Turns out, spiders have an immense effect on their environments. This article claims that there is a global population density of, on average, 1000 spiders per square meter, which I am hoping, for everyone involved, is a typo. I’m not afraid of spiders but this math would mean that there would be about 15,000 spiders in my apartment right now and I can’t see them.
Ambidextrous elk are bolder than the less flexible members of their species. What does that even mean? I have no idea. I loved the headline so much and I wanted to share it with you.
For some reason Humpback whales have recently been engaging in strange grouping behaviours that scientist cannot explain. They’re called super groups and they range from 20 to 200 whales.
A species of fluorescent frog has been found in South America. The South American polka dot tree frog gives off a fluorescent green or blue glow when put under a black light.
The five second rule has been confirmed true by a group of scientist who had nothing better to do than prove that your and my laziness was totally okay and not going to kill us.
A cooler full of approximately $24,000 worth of weed was dropped of at goodwill in Washington and instead of turning a profit on it staff contacted police. $24,000 guys.
That’s it for this week guys. Talk to you again NextWeekNow.
Baby Boy Bazinga:
Mushroom Cloud Brunette Doesn’t Work As Well:
They Asked If They Could, Not If They Should:
Boisterous Bottle noses Belay Boaters:
Liar, Liar, Never Trust A Man Wearing Flaming Attire:
Jumping The Freeway is Much Cooler Than Jumping The Shark:
Sit Still And Cry With A Pizza Pie:
Math Is A Language That Lets You Say Things Like, ‘There’s No Such Thing As Zero’:
Spiders Hold ‘Top Insect Predator’. I Didn’t Know It Was Such A Competitive Title:
This Headline Is Why I Read News Every Week. I Love This Kind Of Thing:
Humpback Whales, Mysterious Tales, Scientist Fails:
Glow In The Frog. Their Headline Took The Alliteration So I Had To One Up Them:
Five Seconds Of Frantic Flailing To Fetch Your Food:
A Very Dank Donation:
Plus One – You Me At Six
Geekquilibrium – Dr Awkward
Something – Bastard Poetry
Barn Burner – Bastard Poetry
Sweet Lovely Darling – Saint James Band
Other Radio Laurier Shows:
The Rap Up:
The Boiling Point:
Welcome back to Press Start to BGN, Laurier’s gaming show by a bunch of Game Design & Development students here at Laurier’s Brantford campus. The program is very new and so is our show, so for those who don’t know Game Design & Development is headed by Dr Scott Nicholson through the Brantford Games Network or BGN, hence the name “Press Start to BGN” which sounds like “begin.” This week we break down the latest game news and releases and Stephan freaks out over how many games he can’t afford or play. Thanks for tuning in!
- Australian development team Samurai Punk will be releasing a VR game later this year called The American Dream, in which players’ engage in normal everyday activities with their hands being replaced with guns.
- The Legend of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses has the tour dates and location announced for 2017; they will be coming to Toronto’s Sony Centre on September 15
- PlayStation Now, Sony’s game streaming service, will soon be bringing in PS4 games
- Nintendo reported that they sold 1.5 million Switch units in its first week
- Overwatch director Jeff Kaplan recently took to Reddit and revealed new details, including a buff for Winston (due to him being the least played hero in Overwatch), a possible reworking for Lucio, a new legendary skin for Widowmaker, the possibility of being able to gift your friends with Loot Boxes, and recent consideration of bringing Overwatch to the Switch (despite how “challenging” it would be)
- BlizzCon 2017 will be taking place on November 3 and 4 at the Anaheim Convention Centre, with passes being sold April 5 and 8 for $200
- Six new games will be coming to PlayStation’s Play Collective, with discounts for PS Plus users: Everything, Rain World, PaRappa the Rapper Remastered, Cosmic Star Heroine, Full Throttle Remastered and What Remains of Edith Finch.
- Colin Moriarty, co-founder of Kinda Funny, has quit after he posted a sexist tweet on International Women’s Day
What’s Coming Out Soon!
Well, would you look at the time! What time is it, you ask? Well, it’s time for the Games Out This Week!
- Danganronpa 1&2 Reload (March 14, PS4)
- Do you like anime? Have you seen Danganronpa? Do you recognise that black and white bear thing? If so, NIS America releases Danganronpa 1 & 2 Reload as a PS4 exclusive, just for you! In all seriousness, though, they’ve remastered both of these amazing PSVita games just for PS4, with all new features and extras you can’t find anywhere else! (except probably on amazon for, like, a billion times the price) This pack includes 2 games: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, and Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair. You can get the Limited Edition version for just $20 more, which includes an artbook, a 2-disc soundtrack, sunglasses, as well as a couple of other things. Pick up this weird, crazy visual novel for $30! Also, if you like this, keep your eye out for Danganronpa Another Episode: Criminal Girls, out later this year.
- Star Trek: Bridge Crew (Delayed, May 20th, 2017)
- Stephan’s childhood: Rebooted. Star Trek: Bridge Crew is a VR game made for Oculus, Vive, and PSVR, in which you play as Starfleet on the Starship USS Aegis, helping the Klingons. But who cares about plot when YOU CAN BE THE CAPTAIN OF A STAR TREK STARSHIP! You can play this in single or multiplayer with up to 4 other players, and just generally be an awesome person as you fly through space on a spaceship. It’s cool. It’s not out yet though. Bummer. Pick it up on May 20th!
- Styx: Shards of Darkness (PS4, XB1, PC, March 14th, 2017)
- The sequel to Styx: Master of Shadows is out! Play as Styx, a stealthy orc, uncovering the mysteries behind the choices people have made. The game looks awesome, the story looks cool, and Styx makes me generally scared of orcs. However, the game looks like it’s going to do well, as Metacritic gave it a 73% for good gameplay. The game’s lore looks to be a little lacking, however, the gameplay is what brings you back into playing it every time. Pick it up for all consoles for $50!
Stephan and Cassie seem to really enjoy this game, and its FREE for PS+ members this month, so it’s worth mentioning once more. Severed (PSVita, Wii U, N3DS, iOS) Severed is a PSVita classic by Drinkbox Studios that was released last year. It is an action RPG game with a favourable storyline that I personally don’t know much about, however, the gameplay is about severing enemy’s body parts off, so that’s fun. With touch controls, a really cool severing mechanic, an Original Soundtrack by YAMANTAKA//SONIC TITAN (a Juno-nominated band), and the ability to upgrade your character in any way you want, traversing through a nightmare has never seemed so fun. Pick it up for free today!
Topic of the Show:
This week on Press Start to BGN, the topic of the show was… too many games. Part 2. Also, known as Stephan goes on a rant and Cassie wants to romance all the characters in Mass Effect Andromeda. So, it was a standard show. There are too many games and we only have so much time to play so many games, which leaves little time for sleep, extracurricular, and assignments. The basic summary ended up being, stay healthy and if you need someone to talk to go to the wellness centre and set up an appointment. Take care of yourself, you deserve it.
What We’ve Been Playing:
- Mortal Kombat 10
- From NetherRealm Studios comes another instalment to their long-standing series, the fighter game Mortal Kombat 10. Play through the various game modes such as story, tower or Krypt in various combat battles. Play against your friends as one of the various in-game characters or your own created individual. Available on iOS, PC, Playstation 4, Xbox One and Android.
- Need for Speed
- From Electronic Arts is their action racing game Need for Speed. Choose and customise your vehicle, race against other players, and do your best to win. Available on several platforms including iOS, PC, Nintendo 3DS, PlayStations 2, 3 and 4, Wii, Wii U, Xbox One and Xbox 360.
- From Blizzard Entertainment comes their 2016 first person shooter, multiplayer game Overwatch. Overwatch contains multiple characters to choose from to battle as with their strengths being linked to four main play categories: offence, defence, tank, and support. Choose your character and fight either one on one or on a team of six against other teams throughout the game’s various game modes and maps. With updates and events coming out throughout the year, Overwatch is available on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.
- Street Fighter 5
- From Capcom comes their 2016 fighting game Street Fighter 5. Fight in the single player story mode or fight against your friends in a multiplayer match as you fight with one of the 20 available characters in this newest Street Fighter instalment. This game introduces the new v-gauge that builds up as the player receives attacks and gives players three new skills to their characters. Available on PC and PlayStation 4.
- Dota 2
- From Valve Corporation comes the 2013 single/multiplayer online battle arena Dota 2. In this free to play multiplayer battle arena game, players are divided up into two teams with five players on each team. Each player chooses their hero to play as, each hero exhibiting their own abilities and play styles. During matches, players collect experience points and items to defend their Ancient structure and win the game by destroying the other team’s Ancient. Available on PCs.
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf
- From Nintendo comes the adorable life simulation game Animal Crossing: New Leaf! In this game, you are the mayor of a town filled with andromorphic animals. Talk to your town residents, explore your little town, and enjoy various activities such as bug hunting and fishing. Modify your wardrobe and get yourself a lovely house in this charming game available on the Nintendo 3DS.
- From DrinkBox Studios comes Severed, the single player action game. In Severed, players are Sasha, a one-armed warrior who wields a living sword. Journey with her through a nightmare world to save her family. Sever enemy body parts in this dungeon combat RPG adventure, available on PlayStation Vita, Wii U, iOS and Nintendo 3DS.
- Super Smash Bros.
- From Nintendo comes their fighting action platformer Super Smash Bros. In this game, choose your character from various Nintendo game instalments, from Mario to Pikachu to Lucas, and fight against your friends in various battle platforms. Fight using your character’s various abilities in various game modes against various people! Available on the Nintendo GameCube, 3DS, Wii, Wii U, Nintendo 64, and Virtual Console.
- From Coldwood Interactive comes the puzzle platformer, single player game Unravel. Play as Yarny, a little red yarn figure who travels through open landscapes to collect the memories of an elderly woman. Use your body of yarn to get past obstacles, use the landscape around you to your advantage and discover memories lost by time. String yourself over to a PC, PlayStation 4 or Xbox One device to play.
- Jelly Juggle
- From Ian MacLarty comes the iOS game Jelly Juggle. In this game, you lay as a little goldfish swimming in a circle, as you try and collect pieces of Jello with faces on them. Avoid crabs and score points in this game described as “an exciting new thumb-sport!”
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- From Guerrilla Games comes their 2017 action roleplaying game Horizon Zero Dawn. In this game, players play as Aloy, an archer hunter who lives in a world overrun by robots. The game comes with an open world to explore, tribes to visit and side quests to complete alongside its main storyline. Discover the dangers and secrets lurking in this game’s world, now available on PlayStation
- Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- In the newest instalment of the Zelda franchise comes Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. In this action adventure game, players play as Link after awaking from a hundred-year slumber. This game is a large departure from the regular linear storyline the series is usually known for. This new instalment prides itself in its open world exploration and allows players to defeat dungeons in any order they wish. Explore to your heart’s content, available on the new Nintendo Switch system and on Wii U.
That’s everything! We’re super excited to be doing this show and we hope you’re enjoying it too 🙂 We’re on every Wednesday at 7 pm on this site and if you have any questions or feedback feel free to tweet Stephan (@StephanReilly) or email reil4130 (at) mylaurier (dot) ca. Thanks again and catch you next week!