Hello once again people! A very warm welcome to all of y’all Throwbackians! Weather: weather, weather, weather, what am I supposed to say? It went from Winter to peak Spring-like weather, then back to winter, now it’s been nice for the last week or so but it’s supposed to plummet again. Greaaaaaaat. I do want to thank you all for tuning into Radio Laurier over the last year or so and it was on a sombre note that I started my show today because it was my last of the year and that definitely made me sad. It’s been an amazing year with Radio Laurier and I’ve been so honoured to speak to you all every single week. I did do my best to have an absolutely packed show and get as much out of this last one as possible.
From BSB, to Eminem, to Flo Rida, to Fountain’s of Wayne– it was very much a 2000s-themed show and a great upbeat way to end the term off on a high. From chart-busting hits like Low, to bigger artists’ smaller hits like In The Night, to controversial songs like Anaconda and Only, it was all happening today.
I did talk a bit about the Billboard Top 10 this week; not much going on, except a notable mention I did want to talk about. Freaky Friday by Chris Brown and Lil’ Dicky came out last week and I’ve been jamming that thing nonstop. Do check out the music video first please, or else the song will make zero sense. The video is probably the funniest and most creative music video I have seen in the longest times; all the twists & turns especially towards the end just make you LOL. Literally. I then continued the segment where I debunk some common myths- generally stuff most people believe. Here are the myths that were debunked this week:
- Coffee stunts your growth: MYTH! While it its true that coffee has been known to cause a bit of an issue in terms of calcium growth, the effect is so little that it can be balanced by a tablespoon of milk. Cmon. And even this was in adults, there was nary a connection found between coffee and children’s growth rates. This was actually due to an ad campaign launched way back when, that promoted their own cereals and trasht-talked coffee and its demons. Why does everything always get traced back to Marketing campaigns. SMH. Anyhow, MYTH= BUSTED.
- Sugary pop drinks directly cause obesity in children: MYTH! This one has certain provisions that are key. While pop drinks aren’t really the greatest for kids, it’s actually more beneficial for parents to encourage a positive lifestyle that includes overall good eating habits and regular exercise. Along with all that, a bit of pop wouldn’t hurt. However, yes, if one’s diet was extremely poor and they binged cans upon cans of pop, yeah that probably would be harmful. MYTH= BUSTED.
- Einstein saying that mankind would seize to exist if bees went extinct: MYTH! Huge one eh? So basically the thing about this one is that while many have said that it does sound like something he’d say, there’s not really a lot of solid proof pointing towards the fact that Einstein did actually say that. Also, a key reason why people think it’s true is because they’re pollinators and are therefore essential for mankind. While it’s true to some extent, lots of other pollinators exist such as bats, hover flies, butterflies, etc. And even in the extreme circumstance that all pollinators ceased to exist suddenly one day, even then the worst that would happen is mass starvation but we wouldn’t be completely wiped off this earth. So don’t worry, go to those classes because you can’t use that as a reason anymore to not study.
And that was it for today, and a wrap up of the whole year! Thank you all for tuning in- again, I’m so glad I brought back all the segments back today; made for an absolutely packed show and a great way to sign off. I personally have learned something new every single week. Again, it’s been an amazing year, thank you to all those that have tuned in over the past two years- I’ve loved talking to you every Wednesday morning: it really has been an absolute blast. Cannot thank you all enough. Just a quick word for finals- don’t let anything stress you to the point where it takes over your mental health because remember your overall health takes priority. All the very best to all of you for finals. Give it one final push, and end this year off on a high note. I hope my shows have helped maybe make the walk to class a little less dreadful. Thanks for being awesome and tuning in, Throwbackians. It’s DJ Throwback signing off for the year.
Take care, stay classy, DJ Throwback Out.
- Everybody- Backstreet Boys
- Gold Digger- Kanye West ft. Jamie Foxx
- I Gotta Feeling- The Black Eyed Peas
- Ignition- R. Kelly
- Low- Flo Rida ft. T-Pain
- SexyBack- Timbaland ft. Justin Timberlake
- The Way I Are- Timbaland ft. Keri Hudson, D.O.E., Sebastian
- Love the way you life- Eminem ft. Rihanna
- Stacy’s Mom- Fountains of Wayne
- Work- Rihanna ft. Drake
- Scream & Shout- Will.I.Am. Ft. Britney Spears
- The Monster – Rihanna ft. Eminem
- Come & Get It- Selena Gomez
- Timber- Pitbull ft. Ke$ha
- In The Night- The Weeknd
- Can’t Feel My Face- The Weeknd
- Wiggle- Jason Derulo ft. Snoop Dogg
- Anaconda- Nicki Minaj
- Only- Nicki Minaj, Drake, Lil’ Wayne
- Locked Away- Adam Levine ft. R City
- My Way- Fetty Wap ft. Drake