Welcome back to Press Start to BGN, this week on the show we talked about the Game Awards and PSX as well as games we wished we had played this year. If you are a first time listener/reader Press Start to BGN is Laurier’s gaming show by a bunch of Game Design & Development students here at Laurier’s Brantford campus. The program is very new and so is our show, so for those who don’t know Game Design & Development is headed by Dr Scott Nicholson through the Brantford Games Network or BGN, hence the name “Press Start to BGN” which sounds like “begin.” Thanks for tuning in!
- Splatfest has come once again in Splatoon 2 and with it another controversial social question has been asked. Which bad holiday gift would you rather receive? A sweater or socks? Jokes on them both are very good presents for university students. Make sure to pick which side your on and join in the fun on the 15th at 12 am EST.
- The Ready Player One trailer has been released, but if you haven’t seen the poster yet whoo boy you’re in for a treat.
- New games have been announced for the PS Vita. Romancing Saga 2, Stardew Valley, Papers Please, 2064: Read Only Memories, and Va-11 hall-a.
- Game Awards:
- Norman Reedus and the Thumbs Up Fetus – Stephan Reilly, 2017 (Death Stranding trailer)
- PUBG is getting a new map
- Metro Exodus
- Soul Calibur 6
- Bayonetta 3
- FromSoftware, the developer’s of Dark Souls and Bloodborne, released a teaser that no one knows what game it’s for but there is specualtion it’s for a new Bloodborne.
- World War Z
- Sea of Theives
- Dreams, A new game from Media Molecule
- GTFO (new game from Payday developer)
- Fade the Silence
- A Way Out
- In the Valley of the Gods
- Playstation Experience (PSX)
- Patapon 2 Remastered
- PSVR extremely successful
- Wipeout Omega Collection VR
- The Last Guardian VR
- Virtual Rickality is coming to PSVR
- Dreams Gameplay was revealed
- Donut County
- BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle
- Medieval Remastered
- Detroit: Become Human
- Last of Us 2 Panel
- Monster Hunter World with Megaman and other things from the Megaman games
- They have announced that you might be able to change your PSN name in the near future. Quote “I hope events occur so you don’t have to ask me that during the next PSX” Shawn Layden
What’s Coming Out Soon!
Hey everybody! Check out what came out this week!
- Okami HD (PS4, XB1, PC)
- Okami a video game with it’s design inspired by Japanese ink wash painting, has been revived after it’s initial 2006 release. You play as Amaterasu a wolf-god who has to save their dying world.
- Fallout 4 VR (Vive)
- Fallout 4 is a post-apocalyptic role-playing game developed by Bethesda Game Studios and it is the fifth major installment in the Fallout series. The player is the Sole Survivor of Vault 111, who emerges 210 years to the day and time after the Great War. Prior to this, there is a brief period of gameplay during the pre-War era showing the player living with their spouse and child.
- Gang Beasts
- “Gang Beasts is a silly multiplayer party game with surly gelatinous characters, brutal mêlée fight sequences, and absurdly hazardous environments. Set in the fictional meatropolis of Beef City.” Aka it’s a ragdoll physics vs game and it is incredibly entertaining
- Chambara is a local multiplayer stealth-deathmatch game with only two colors, allowing players to seamlessly camouflage themselves with the environment. This empowers players to sneak, search, and ambush each other in dramatic, stylish duels.
- PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (PUBG) is a multiplayer online battle royale game.In the game, up to one hundred players parachute onto an island and scavenge for weapons and equipment to kill others while avoiding getting killed themselves. The available safe area of the game’s map decreases in size over time, directing surviving players into tighter areas to force encounters. The last player or team standing wins the round.
- Night in the Woods: Weird Autumn Edition
- NIGHT IN THE WOODS is an adventure game focused on exploration, story, and character, featuring dozens of characters to meet and lots to do across a lush, vibrant world.
- Until Dawn: Rush of Blood // PS VR
- Darksiders II Deathinitive Edition // PS4
- Kung Fu Panda Showdown of Legendary Legends // PS4
- forma.8 // PS4, PS Vita
- Syberia Collection // PS3
- XBlaze Lost: Memories // PS3
- Wanted Corp. // PS Vita
Games With Gold
- Warhammer: End Times – Vermintide
- Available: 12/1 – 12/31
- Child of Eden
- Available: 12/1 – 12/15
- Tales from the Borderlands Complete Season (Episodes 1-5)
- Available: 11/16 – 12/15
- Back to the Future: The Game – 30th Anniversary Edition
- Available: 12/16 – 1/15
- Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death
- Available: 12/16 – 12/31
Topic of the Show
Hey guys, in the spirit of all of these cool new games coming out in the future, we decided to talk about all of the games that got released this year that we wished we had played, and lemme tell ya, as a poor person in general, I had a lot of games on my list. I have an excuse other than my poverty though, I swear.
Stephan: The host of hosts here at PST BGN listed Gravity Rush 2, The Sexy Brutale, Friday the 13th (despite hearing how bad it was to play as a camp counselor), Outlast 2, What Remains of Edith Finch, and Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice as his biggest regrets of not having played this year.
Jelena: Okay, so yours truly, having a limited amount of money to spend on this year’s titles, stated her immense regret of not having touched Wolfenstein II, Neir: Autonoma, Gravity Rush 2, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Persona 5, Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment, What Remains of Edith Finch, Uncharted 4, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, A Hat in Time, and Middle-earth: Shadow of War
Cass: The classiest of the crew briefly talked about wishing she had played Mass Effect: Andromeda for the story.
Paris: And last but not least, our lovely editor talked about the lack of Super Mario Odyssey in his life.
Got a topic you’d like us to talk about when we come back? Hit me up on Twitter @j_vulic98 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Stay safe, stay hydrated, and have a Happy Holiday season!
That’s everything! We’re super excited to be doing this show and we hope you’re enjoying it too 🙂 We’re on every Wednesday at 7 pm on this site and if you have any questions or feedback feel free to tweet Stephan (@StephanReilly) or email reil4130 (at) mylaurier (dot) ca. If you have any feedback on the blog posts email Cassie, duli6880(at) mylaurier (dot) ca. Thanks again and catch you next week!