Good afternoon guys and girls, its another Monday and it’s cold; in consequence, I’m playing some “hibernation” music, essentially just my favourite acoustic/relaxed songs. I’ve only had a coffee today so far so I’m hungry and really want some pizza. Don’t know why I said that. Moving on….
Didn’t really talk much today, I wanted to pack in as much music as possible, and considering how much I talked last show, I figured we could take a bit of a departure today.
I’m really enjoying theming my shows. Although I like just playing all different kinds of music, I think picking a theme each day is really nice; it helps me to focus on songs from a certain genre that I genuinely enjoy, and it gives each show its own life. So on that note, lets get into it.
This Week In Music…
Weezer and the Pixies announced their tour plans for 2018.
23 years ago this week Nirvanas MTV Unplugged show was released, absolute classic.
18 years ago Foo Fighters’ There is Nothing Left to Lose was released, featuring Learn to Fly, Next Year, and Aurora.
10 years ago, Angels and Airwaves I-Empire was released, definitely give that album a listen, especially Heaven, Call to Arms, and Rite of Spring.
Slipknot apparently have plenty of new songs written for a new album, roughly eight or nine according to reports.
Dave Grohl hosted Jimmy Kimmel Live on Halloween, and Kristen Bell sang the lyrics to Do You Want to Build a Snowman alongside Enter Sandman, with Dave on drums. I was literally white girl screaming. Yes, I just did that.
Metallica’s Robert Trujilio and Kirk Hammett duoed to Sabbath’s War Pigs while in Birmingham, the hometown of Black Sabbath.
New stuff from Evanescence and Buffy St. Marie coming this week.
Otherwise, not too much happening.
Bon Iver is a band created by singer/songwriter Justin Vernon in 2006, releasing his first album, For Emma, Forever Ago, in 2007.
The album was created when Vernon moved back to Wisconson after his band split up, his relationship ended, and he contracted Mono. He locked himself in his dad’s cabin in northwestern Wisconsin, and binging a show called Northern Exposure, where the cast would wish each other “bon hiver’, which means good winter in french.
Vernon recorded the entire album himself, with a microphone, a steeltone guitar, a set of old drums which his brother provided him, and other random objects which were laying around. Since this, he has never used engineers or producers to help make his albums, and has always done it himself.
His follow up albums, Bon Iver and 22, A Million demonstrate a departure in his usual acoustic only style from his debut album, yet still retain that beauty which all of his music possesses. The way these songs make you feel has no comparison; its like an even more experimental Pink Floyd mixed with Radiohead and Coldplay. Yet even that does it no justice.
Band of the Week
No band of the week this week due to the theme today! Instead here’s some Dave Grohl.
TWO DOUBLE SHOTS TODAY!
#1 John Mayer
- Played Born and Raised from 2012, and Free Fallin’ from his 2008 live album, Where the Light Is. And yes, it is a cover of Tom Petty. My man crush is John Mayer, I have no regrets saying that.
#2 Foo Fighters
- We heard Home from the Foo Fighters’ 2007 album, Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace, and Marigold from the 2006 live album Skin & Bones. Fun fact, Grohl wrote the song in 1990, and it was featured in the Nirvana boxset, With the Lights Out, as a B-Side. So there are 3 versions of the song; Grohl’s solo version from his 1990 EP called Pocketwatch by Late! (Pseudonym), the Nirvana version, and the live Foo Fighters version. Pretty cool right? (Yes it is).
Nice to have a chill show today. Thanks for listening or reading. You’re the best.
- The Lumineers – Angela (3:21) 2016
- Vance Joy – Mess Is Mine (3:43) 2014
- Ben Howard – Old Pine (5:28) 2011
- Alkaline Trio – Every Thug Needs a Lady (3:41) 2011
- Hozier – Like Real People Do (3:18) 2014
- Iron and Wine – Such Great Heights (4:16) 2009
- John Mayer – Born and Raised (4:47) 2012
- John Mayer – Free Fallin (4:23) 2008
- Bon Iver – 22 (OVER SooooN) (2:48) 2016
- Bon Iver – 29 #Strafford APTS (4:05) 2016
- Bon Iver – Holocene (5:36) 2011
- Angels & Airwaves – Anomaly (2:52) 2014
- Bob Dylan – Blowin’ In the Wind (2:45) 1963
- Johnny Cash – Hurt (3:36) 2002
- Mazzy Star – Fade Into You (4:55) 1993
- Pink Floyd – Mother (5:34) 1979
- Roger Waters – Deja Vu (4:27) 2017
- Foo Fighters – Home (4:53) 2007
- Foo Fighters – Marigold (3:19) 2006
- Pearl Jam – Just Breathe (Live on Ten Legs) (3:53) 2011
- Jackson C. Frank – Blues Run the Game (S&G Cover) (3:31) 2001
- Alexi Murdoch – Some Day Soon (4:47) 2011
- Shinedown – Simple Man (Acoustic) (5:20) 2003
- Bears Den – Elysium (3:26) 2014
- Jose Gonzalez – Heartbeats (2:41) 2006
From the Roger Waters concert a few weeks ago.