Welcome back to Press Start to BGN, Laurier’s gaming show by a bunch of Game Design & Development students here at Laurier’s Brantford campus. The program is very new and so is our show, so for those who don’t know Game Design & Development is headed by Dr Scott Nicholson through the Brantford Games Network or BGN, hence the name “Press Start to BGN” which sounds like “begin.” This week we go into the game genres we suck at but still love to play as well as all the game news and releases for the week. Thanks for tuning in!
- Super Mario Run will be available to Android on March 23rd
- Kurt Margenau, Game Director of Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, has confirmed to the PlayStation Blog that Nathan Drake will not be making an appearance in the game “at all”
- Game Freak has released recruitment advertisements for a console game, stating that recruits will be working on “characters, monsters and items” for “a title that everyone knows”
- Tang Gameworks may have leaked The Evil Within 2 through an internal job listing for QA
- The Australian Classification Board has denied Outlast 2 a rating due to the sexual violence found within the game
- YouTuber JonTron has tried to clear up some of his offensive remarks from last regarding race while engaged in a debate on Steve Bonnell’s Twitch channel
- Allie Rose-Marie Leost, a worker within EA’s motion-capture labs, is currently experiencing vicious harassment online due to the overall disappointment in the lack of improvement in Mass Effect: Andromeda’s animation quality
- In just under two weeks, Horizon Zero Dawn has sold a total of 2.6 million copies
- CapCom will be bundling its Disney Afternoon NES Classics for PS4, Xbox One and PC (available in April 18th for $19.99)
What’s Coming Out Soon!
Games out this week:
- Mass Effect: Andromeda (PS4, X1 & PC)
- Everything (PS4)
- Super Mario Run Mar 23 (Android)
- Mario Sports Superstars Mar 24 (3DS)
- Disc Jam, PS4, Tearaway Unfolded, PS4, Under Night: In-Birth, PS3, Earth Defense Force 2025, PS3, Lumo, PS Vita (crossbuy on PS4), Severed, PS Vita
Games w/ Gold:
- Layers of Fear 01/03 to 31/03, Evolve: Ultimate Edition – Available 16/03 to 15/04, Heavy Weapon – Available 16/03 to 31/03
Topic of the Show:
This week we discussed our favourite genres that we love to play but absolutely suck at, as well as what genres we feel like we’re really good at!
What We’ve Been Playing:
- Fallout Shelter
- From Bethesda Game Studios comes the single player simulation game Fallout Shelter. In this game, players build and manage their own Vault as the coordinator and leader of the citizens that live there with you. Keep everyone happy as you meet to your citizen’s needs of power, food, and water. Rescue survivors, take care of your citizens and pet your dog in this game available on iOS, Android, PC and now the Xbox One.
- Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- In the newest installment to the Zelda franchise comes Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. In this action adventure game, players play as Link after awaking from a hundred-year slumber. This game is a large departure from the regular linear storyline the series is usually known for. This new installment prides itself in its open world exploration and allows players to defeat dungeons in any order they wish. Explore to your heart’s content, available on the new Nintendo Switch system and on Wii U.
- From Blizzard Entertainment comes their 2016 first person shooter, multiplayer game Overwatch. Overwatch contains multiple characters to choose from to battle as with their strengths being linked to four main play categories: offense, defense, tank, and support. Choose your character and fight either one on one or on a team of six against other teams throughout the game’s various game modes and maps. With updates and events coming out throughout the year, Overwatch is available on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.
- Rhythm Doctor
- From 7th Beat Games comes Rhythm Doctor, “the hardest one button game you will ever play”. Save a variety of patients by tapping on the seventh beat to start the patient’s heart. So far there is a demo out, available to play on itch.io with six levels to tap out the beat to. Coming to Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android some time this year.
- From Messhof, comes Nidhogg comes, a single player/multiplayer fighting game. This game is a fast paced two-player dueling game that has players fencing against one another to reach their opponent’s side of the playing field. Get to the other side first and you will be swallowed by the Norse serpent Niohoggr for your efforts. Available on PC, Mac, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation Vita.
- Jelly Juggle
- From Ian MacLarty comes the iOS game Jelly Juggle. In this game, you lay as a little goldfish swimming in a circle, as you try and collect pieces of Jello with faces on them. Avoid crabs and score points in this game described as “an exciting new thumb-sport!”
- Kirby: Triple Deluxe
- From Nintendo comes their 2014 Kirby installment Kirby: Triple Deluxe. In this game, players play as Kirby as he tries to rescue Dream Land from insect evil forces residing in Floralia, a new land that has appeared above Dreamland. This installment includes three new copy abilities on top of the twenty from the previous game, challenging battles, and new puzzles to complete. Available on Nintendo 3DS.
- Night in the Woods
- From Kickstarter to reality comes Infinite Fall’s Night in the Woods. In this single player adventure game, players play as a 20-year-old cat named Mae who has just recently dropped out of college and has returned to her hometown of Possum Springs. Reuniting with her old high school friends, Mae begins to settle back into her small-town life but finds things are not going to be the same as they use to be. Play various mini games, spend time with your friends and create a new chapter in your life in this spectacularly charming game. Available on PC and PlayStation 4.
- XCOM: Enemy Unknown
- From Firaxis Games comes the turn-based tactic roleplaying game XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Set during an alien invasion on Earth, the player is tasked with controlling the multinational paramilitary organization XCOM whose must protect the Earth from these alien invaders. Send your teams on missions, research alien technologies, capture prisoners and manage the expansions of XCOM’s base of operations in this tactical, turn based game. Available on PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, iOS, Android, and PlayStation Vita.
That’s everything! We’re super excited to be doing this show and we hope you’re enjoying it too 🙂 We’re on every Wednesday at 7 pm on this site and if you have any questions or feedback feel free to tweet Stephan (@StephanReilly) or email reil4130 (at) mylaurier (dot) ca. Thanks again and catch you next week!