Welcome back to Press Start to BGN, this week on the show we revealed our favourite quotes from games and talked about the best sleuth in town Detective Pikachu. If you are a first time listener/reader Press Start to BGN is Laurier’s gaming show by a bunch of Game Design & Development students here at Laurier’s Brantford campus. The program is very new and so is our show, so for those who don’t know Game Design & Development is headed by Dr Scott Nicholson through the Brantford Games Network or BGN, hence the name “Press Start to BGN” which sounds like “begin.” Thanks for tuning in!
- The IGN editor-in-chief has been fired over “alleged misconduct” after working from home while being investigated. Read more about it here.
- “Three separate French reports published this afternoon level serious allegations of unhealthy studio culture at Quantic Dream, developer of Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls and the upcoming PlayStation 4 game Detroit: Become Human. Quantic Dream leaders David Cage and Guillaume de Fondaumière are accused of inappropriate behaviour, overworking staff and colluding in – or at least turning a blind eye to – a schoolboy culture involving sexist and racist jokes.” – eurogamer.net (link)
- A New Nintendo Direct Mini was released
- Nintedo has reconfirmed that the company has no plans ti explore VR or 4K support.
- Assasin’s Creed Rogue Remastered has been announced to be coming to Xbox One and PS4 on March 20th.
- Detective Pikachu has been confirmed for Western release on the 3DS alongside the new amiibo and a new Pikachu themed 2DS XL
Japanese Trailer (very dramatic)
- The Xbox Duke controller remake gets it’s release window and price. It is said to be released sometime at the end of March and the price will be $69.99
- Sony’s plan to pull Gravity Rush 2’s online servers last week the servers were extended due to an impassioned campaign from the game’s fanbase and Sony extended the date to today January 18th at 10pm.
- Awesome Games Done Quick 2018 is over and it has set a record for contribution’s. The weeklong speedrunning marathon this year raised $2,263,508.19 which is over last year’s total by about $40,000.
What’s Coming Out Soon!
Hey everybody! Check out what came out this week!
- SFV Arcade Edition
- Along with the highly-requested Arcade Mode, Arcade Edition comes bundled with an Extra Battle mode, a revamped UI, a Gallery and (of course), new V-Triggers for all characters. The Arcade Mode will have players going on a trip down memory lane, fighting against characters from different entries in the Street Fighter series.
- Kirby Battle Royale
- Kirby is entering a tournament against his toughest rival yet…himself! 1-4 players can fight in local* or online** battles. Pick from 10+ abilities and 10 battle types to compete in countless matchups. Hoard treasure in Ore Express, knock out opponents in Slam Hockey, shoot missiles at Robo Bonkers, and more! There’s a single-player story mode too!
Topic of the Show
WE ARE BACK!. It’s okay though; we weren’t supposed to be back officially til this week. ANYWAYS, this week we all got to talk about our personal picks on the most memorable quotes in gaming.
- “Remember Sly, just jump, and hit the circle button.” (Bentley, Sly Cooper)
- “Would you kindly.” (Frank Fontaine, Bioshock)
- “I believe in a universe that doesn’t care, and people who do.” (Angus, Night in the Woods)
- “God never did (find me); I was completely alone in the pantry, but a few years later, Gregg did.” (Angus, Night in the Woods)
- “You know how you just want to go and stand in a corner sometimes? Gregg’s my corner.” (Angus, Night in the Woods)
- “Did I ever tell you what the definition of ‘insanity’ is?” (Vaas Montenegro, Far Cry 3)
- “It’s time to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I’m all out of ass.” (Duke Nukem, Duke Nukem Forever)
- “I will take your head off and shit into your neck.” (Holoduke, Duke Nukem Forever)
- *insert ALL the banter between Jak and Daxter*
- “I’m gonna kill Praxis!” (Jak, Jak II)
- “It’s locked!” (Every Nancy Drew game)
- “I am terrible and it makes me sad. May I rest my head in your bosom? I wish to cry.” (Zevran Arainai, Dragon Age: Origins)
- “I knew nothing of friendship before we met. And I will always consider you such. Live well, my friend. Live gloriously.” (Morrigan, Dragon Age: Origins)
- “Taarsidath-an halsaam? Closest translation would be ‘I will bring myself sexual pleasure later, while thinking about this with great respect.’” (Iron Bull, Dragon Age: Inquisition)
- “The Eye of the Tiger is fixed on a star. Zircon lies in fingers that scar. Amethyst floats in a hand from the deep. Citrine is what the fowl mouth shall keep. Tourmaline by a soft arm is ensnared. Peridot rests at the foot of a mare.” (Nancy Drew 13: Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon)
- “Got cups on my ears.” (Gregg, Night in the Woods)
- “Welcome to the world of Pokémon.” (almost every Pokémon game ever)
- *insert conversation between Gregg, Angus and Mae from Night in the Woods talking about being the only LGTBQ+ folks in all of Possum Spring*
- *insert moment where Aloy gets upset at the fact that she only got accepted by the Nora tribe simply because All-Mother “claimed” her*
Jelena (aka yours truly):
- “In a world without gold, we might have been heroes.” (Blackbeard, Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag)
- “Self expression is vital to understanding and enjoying life. You should find an outlet.”
“I have plenty of outlets.”
“I meant besides vaginas.”
“Mother!” (Maria Auditore da Firenze and Ezio Auditore da Firenze, Assassin’s Creed II)
What We’ve Been Playing:
That’s everything! We’re super excited to be doing this show and we hope you’re enjoying it too 🙂 We’re on every Wednesday at 7 pm on this site and if you have any questions or feedback feel free to tweet Stephan (@StephanReilly) or email reil4130 (at) mylaurier (dot) ca. If you have any feedback on the blog posts email Cassie, duli6880(at) mylaurier (dot) ca. Thanks again and catch you next week!