Welcome back to Press Start to BGN, Laurier’s gaming show by a bunch of Game Design & Development students here at Laurier’s Brantford campus. The program is very new and so is our show, so for those who don’t know Game Design & Development is headed by Dr Scott Nicholson through the Brantford Games Network or BGN, hence the name “Press Start to BGN” which sounds like “begin.” This week we were cut off by Women’s Basketball… so no one actually heard our show on Radio Laurier but we’d thought we’d post anyway! This week we go over all things Nintendo Switch! And of course new releases, games we’re playing and whatever… but Nintendo Switch, enjoy!
- All Nintendo Switch preorders in GameStop have been sold out
- EA is making a new version of FIFA for the Nintendo Switch. Executive Vice President of EA, Patrick Soderlund, stated that “We’ve been with Nintendo for a very long time. I’m a Nintendo fanboy since I grew up. Nintendo is the reason I got into gaming.”
- Mass Effect: Andromeda’s lead designer Ian S. Frazier has confirmed via Twitter that the game will be featuring weapon naming and crafting
- Michael Gamble, Mass Effect: Andromeda’s producer, upon being asked on Twitter who players could bang, replied that “so many. And the banging is pretty good.”
- Vince Weaver, an assistant professor at the University of Maine, has created a version of Portal for the Apple II
- Blizzard has announced that they will be blocking players who “nuke” matches in Overwatch
- Awesome Games Done Quick has raised $2.2 million for the Prevent Cancer Foundation, smashing last year’s record by $1 million
- Dishonoured 2’s update will be including difficulty selection and mission selection options (available in full on January 23rd for Xbox One, PS4 and PC)
- PlayStation 4’s system software beta program is now open to sign up for playtesting
- Sony will be closing Guerilla Games’ UK studio and has stated that “where possible… (Sony will) try to relocate people onto other projects.”
- Rocket League has over 25 million registered players
- Shovel Knight will be coming to the Nintendo Switch under the title “Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove” and will be an all-inclusive title of the overall games
- Steam’s 5 Most Played Games of 2016 were all games that were not released in 2016
- The Sims 4 has been revealed to be featuring toddlers
- 505 Games has announced that Quarantine, “a real-world science and epidemic response” game, will be coming to Steam Early Access in February
- President of Nintendo of America Reggie Fils-Aime has hinted at Mother 3 and Metroid as future titles for the Nintendo Switch
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be taking up 13.4GB of the Switch’s 32GB memory space
- Bandai Namco has announced Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for the Nintendo Switch, as well as two other titles
What’s Coming Out Soon!
- January 13th- Pit People (Currently in Early Access)
- A new action, role-playing strategy game by The Behemoth (the same people who made Castle Crashers & Battleblock Theater). It’s currently on sale for $14.99.
- January 17th- Flame in the Flood
- A “roguelike survival video game developed by The Molasses Flood”, where you must “survive a river journey through the backwaters of a forgotten post-societal America.” Currently on Xbox, Steam, and brand new on Playstation for $14.99.
- January 17th- Gears of War 4 New Map releases
- 2 new maps, Blood Drive and Clocktower, are now available to all players Gears 4 multiplayer, as well as way more stuff planned for the future!
- January 20- Gravity Rush 2
- A sequel to 2012’s PSVita game from Studio Japan. It takes place right after the events the of the original Gravity Rush, where we find our friends Kat and Raven taking on new foes and gravitational anomalies. This Playstation 4 exclusive is being sold for $79.99.
Topic of the Show: Nintendo Switch!!!!
- Releasing March 3rd for $499.99 CDN
- 5 launch titles: 1 2 Switch, Skylanders Imaginators, Just Dance 2017, Super Bomberman R, Breath of the Wild
- Has a paid online subscription, starts Fall 2017, no price, 1 free NES or SNES game a month but only for the month then they take it back…
- Multi capacitive touch screen, 8 player multiplayer, 2.5-6 hours battery life, not region locked.
- NEW Games:
- March: Snipperclips (Cut it out together), I am Setsuna, Has Been Heroes, Fast RMX
- April: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Spring: Arms, Puyopuyo Tetris, Rime, Disgaea 5
- Summer: Splatoon 2
- Fall: Skyrim
- Holiday: Super Mario Odyssey
- 2017: Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Ultra Street Fighter 2, Minecraft, Fifa, Sonic Mania, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Steep, NBA 218, Kingdom New Lands, GoNNER
- Breath of the Wild Collector’s Edition, New Zelda amiibo
What We’ve Been Playing
• Pokemon Sun
Developed by Game Freak and released by Nintendo in 2016 Pokémon Sun is one of the two newest instalments in the Pokémon series. We return to this role-playing adventure in the new Alola Region. As with the previous games we follow the journey of a young Pokémon trainer as they train Pokémon. Battle and capture wild Pokémon, train them, and make your way through the newly instated trial’s. As you complete each trial move to island to island and follow the new story. Available on the Nintendo 3DS.
• Pokemon Moon
Pokémon Moon is the other most recent game in the series. Moon offers some Pokémon that are not available in Sun although vice versa for Sun as well. One of the main differences is that Pokémon Moon will take place 12 hours ahead of real time. Whereas Sun plays in real time.
• Pokémon Sun
• Cooking Mama 5
Cooking Mama 5, developed by Cooking Mama Limited and released in 2013 for the Nintendo 3Ds, is the fifth instalment in the Cooking Mama Series and the 11th game in the Mama series. In the game, the player follows the instructions of “Mama” and prepares and cooks various meals. Use the stylus to chop vegetables, fry things in a pan, slice meat, and other kitchen tasks.
• Mass Effect (1)
Developed by Bioware and originally released for the Xbox 360 in 2007. This is the first instalment in the Mass Effect series and takes place within the Milky Way Galaxy in the year 2183. The player takes the role of Commander Shephard, a soldier who must stop a rogue agent from opening a portal and letting through a highly advanced machine race of synthetic-organic starships that are believed to destroy all organic civilisation every 50,000 years, called the Reapers.
• Persona 5 EVEN THOUGH IT’S NOT OUT YET HE’S HYPED
Persona 5 is the sixth edition to the Persona series and is scheduled for release in North America in April this year. The latest instalment in the Shin Megami Tensei series is coming to PlayStation 4 and looks like the prettiest, most ambitious Persona game to date. Get pumped to fall in love with a new cast of characters, explore intricate dungeons and real world locations and play games with your pet cat!
That’s everything! We’re super excited to be doing this show and we hope you’re enjoying it too 🙂 We’re on every Wednesday at 7 pm on this site and if you have any questions or feedback feel free to tweet Stephan (@StephanReilly) or email reil4130 (at) mylaurier (dot) ca. Thanks again and catch you next week!