Summer Plans… Press Start to BGN 29/03/2017 Show Recap
Welcome back to Press Start to BGN, Laurier’s gaming show by a bunch of Game Design & Development students here at Laurier’s Brantford campus. The program is very new and so is our show, so for those who don’t know Game Design & Development is headed by Dr Scott Nicholson through the Brantford Games Network or BGN, hence the name “Press Start to BGN” which sounds like “begin.” This is our last show of the 2016/2017 school year and so, of course, we’re talking about our Summer game plans! We discuss the games we want to play with our well deserved time off… Thanks for tuning in!
- Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series Episode 1 – “Tangled Up in Blue” has been announced to be available on all platforms on April 18; season passes will be made available on May 2nd in North America
- Rocket League CEO Dave Hagewood has called the game’s online issues as “totally unacceptable”
- Ex-senior Apple employee Michael Hillman has been hired as the new head of hardware for Oculus VR
- Warner Bros. has unveiled the first details of the Tomb Raider movie, which includes images of Alicia Vikander as Laura Croft
- The first teaser trailer for Destiny 2 has been released, with rumours of the release date being set to September 8th
- Lego City Undercover has been discovered to require Internet connection to play due to the fact that it requires 13 GB of storage
- Marie Blue’s cartoon strip of Kirby with human feet has quickly become the latest meme
- The Australian Classification Board’s decision to ban Outlast 2 in Australia has been reversed since the original submission, said to be a mix-up, had the final game code and a video file of the Alpha version of the game; Red Barrel’s public relations team has stated that the video file shouldn’t have been sent “as its content was not representative of the final game”
What’s Coming Out Soon!
Has-Been Heroes (March 28th, PS4, XB1, Windows, SWITCH)
Has-Been Heroes is an action-adventure game with both RTS and turn-based strategy elements. Made by Frozenbyte, the game has you playing as 4 heroes making their way through a dungeon and surviving the biggest challenge: get the Kings Twin Princesses to school! Playing it on the Switch is interesting; the game play has you playing every character at once, so at first you have a really crappy time just not understanding. Once you get it, though, it comes naturally and poses a different kind of challenge. I would recommend it if you’re looking for something different and engaging. Pick it up for $20!
Rainworld (March 28th, PS4, Windows)
PLAY AS CAT BUG! wait-
Play as Catslug, a part cat, part slug… Thing, that is working to survive an incoming torrential downpour. Escape enemies, find shelter and forage for food as you discover your larger purpose on this futuristic planet Earth. Pick it up for $15.99!
Persona 5 (April 4th, PS4)
Buy. This. Game.
Thanks for sticking around guys, have a good summer and hear our voices again comin in September!
Persona 5: https://youtu.be/B14111ZRHNQ
GTA V: https://youtu.be/Ru2uzhqQ3a8
Topic of the Show:
As the school year comes to a close (except for those doing summer courses) and exam’s start coming back, Press Start to BGN says goodbye for now. The topic of the show this week was what we were all doing this summer. How will we spend our time, in the sun perhaps? Probably not too much. Playing games with some buds or by ourselves? That’s pretty much a guarantee. A lot of us will be catching up on our gaming because of the now abundant amount of free time we will have, what will you be doing this summer? Or rather, what will you be playing? Let us know in the comments!
What We’ve Been Playing:
- Fallout Shelter
- From Bethesda Game Studios comes the single-player simulation game Fallout Shelter. In this game, players build and manage their own Vault as the coordinator and leader of the citizens that live there with you. Keep everyone happy as you meet to your citizen’s needs of power, food, and water. Rescue survivors, take care of your citizens and pet your dog in this game available on iOS, Android, PC and now the Xbox One.
- From Blizzard Entertainment comes their 2016 first person shooter, multiplayer game Overwatch. Overwatch contains multiple characters to choose from to battle as with their strengths being linked to four main play categories: offense, defense, tank, and support. Choose your character and fight either one on one or on a team of six against other teams throughout the game’s various game modes and maps. With updates and events coming out throughout the year, Overwatch is available on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.
- Hyper Light Drifter
- From Heart Machine comes the action roleplaying game Hyper Light Drifter. In this game, players control the Drifter, a figure who has technology that has been long forgotten by the world’s residents and who is suffering from a mysterious illness. Travel across the land and discover the secrets of this immersive world. Available on PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Ouya.
- This War of Mine
- From 11 bit studios comes the war survival game This War of Mine. Based on the true events of the 1992-96 Siege of Sarajevo during the Boasian War, this game has players experience what it is like to be a civilian trying to survive in a war environment. Different endings will occur based on the decisions you make throughout the game. Try to survive the everyday dangers you occur and experience a small taste of what it is like to be a civilian in a warring nation. Available on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
- Pokemon Sun
- From Nintendo comes another instalment to their Pokémon franchise, 2016’s Pokémon Sun and Moon. Pokémon is a role-playing game that has players catching various species of Pokémon, battling trainers be it online or in the game’s story mode, take care of their teammates in Pokémon Refresh and more. In Pokémon Sun, players can find Pokémon exclusive to their version of the game and has their game running exactly to their 3DS’ programmed clock. Available to play on the Nintendo 3DS.
- Tap Tap Fish (AbyssRium)
- From SangHeon Kim comes the Zen aquarium tap game Tap Tap Fish, also known as AbyssRium. Acquire fish and reef life, take pictures of your fishes to share online and create your own aquatic atmosphere experience. Available on iOS and Android.
- From Degica comes the fourth wall breaking adventure game OneShot. Play as Niko, a small cat-like child as you traverse through a mysterious computer world with the task of restoring the world’s lightbulb like the sun. There is a catch, though. This world knows you exist and every choice you make has consequences. You only have one shot to rekindle this world’s sun and to get Niko home. Available on PC. Proceed with a warning: this game heavily interacts with your computer and brings out feelings of paranoia.
- Need for Speed
- From Electronic Arts is their action racing game Need for Speed. Choose and customize your vehicle, race against other players, and do your best to win. Specifically the PS4, Xbox One and PC Need For Speed reboot released in 2014.
That’s everything! We’re super excited to be doing this show and we hope you’re enjoying it too 🙂 We’re on every Wednesday at 7 pm on this site and if you have any questions or feedback feel free to tweet Stephan (@StephanReilly) or email reil4130 (at) mylaurier (dot) ca. Thanks again and catch you next week!